Well, the good/ bad/ ugly this week is that our new noise boxes and the box of N95 masks we ordered showed up without a hitch, but the Mork Gryning CDs I ordered from Season of Mist got stolen off our porch... Bummer, but I guess I'd rather be out $45 worth of CDs rather than almost $400 worth of new gear.
Upside is that those new Electro Lobotomy boxes sound savage.
-
Muzak:
Savage Republic - I've had my eye out for a copy of Tragic Figures for a couple years now and it turns out it just got reissued with a bonus disc of unreleased stuff from that same era. Stoked! "Next to Nothing" is one of my absolute favorite songs of all time. Gloomy punked-up scrap clatter equal parts Joy Division, Crash Worship, and Neubauten.
-
Abigor - I'm pretty sure "Verwustung: Invoke the Dark Age" was the very first black metal album I ever heard and as such it still holds a special place in my heart. Raw early/ mid 90's savagery.
-
Darkthrone - I've been meaning to replace my copy of Plaguewielder for a while now and finally just made it happen. Still probably my pound for pound favorite Darkthrone CD even though I kind of hate the cover art on the reissue.
-
White Mice - Demented noiserock/ sludge destruction from a bunch of weirdos in blood splattered mouse costumes. Up there with Burmese, Lietterschpich, and early SWANS in terms of complete annihilating heaviness. I hope someday that one of our projects sounds even half as fucked up as "BLasssTPhlEgMEICE"
-
Sex Gang Children - Every couple months I get this song stuck in my head. YMMV, but for me it brings back a lot of weird memories involving blacklight, crushed velvet, and friends who have been gone for a lot of years.
https://youtu.be/GTdSBWxU7bI
-
Loop - I knew Loop had been playing shows again, but I had no idea they had a new album out until it was right in front of my face over at Long in the Tooth earlier today. Seriously, I was spaced out staring off into the middle distance for a minute and when my brain zoned back in I realized I was staring at a Loop CD I didn't recognize. Sounds pretty much exactly how you'd want it to.
-
Video Games:
Dawn of the Monsters
Gynoug
-
Reading:
Finally trying to sit down and plow through the Michael Moorcock "Elric" books that I've been meaning to read since I first got into Hawkwind almost three decades ago.
A bunch of weird articles about spooky Fortean/ Cryptid shit... Mostly sea monsters/ ghost ships and other oceanic weirdness this week.
-
Tube:
Spongebob Squarepants - Goes down smooth when my brain is mush.
-
War of the God Monsters - This was less a movie and more a fever dream.
-
Creature - Abysmally low budget ALIEN/ The Thing ripoff circa 1985-ish that actually manages to be more enjoyable than Any of the ALIEN films barring the first two.
-
Shocking Dark - Another low budget ALIEN knockoff. This one Italian and filmed in what appears to be a sewer.
-
Screamers - Dorky 90's era mangling of a Philip K. Dick short story. I don't like Screamers quite as much as something like, say, Hardware, but I've always had kind of a soft spot for this flick.
-
No comments:
Post a Comment